Scotstown (@1.2) vs Truagh (@4.5)

Our Prediction:

Scotstown will win

Scotstown – Truagh Match Prediction | 14-09-2019 11:30

Our second league win of the year came from a victory over Corduff on the 22nd of May. Although the girls trailed at the interval by a goal Truagh stepped up in the second half with Nuala McQuillan finishing with a tally of 1-07 but it was substitute Karen Feely who put the game away when she came off the bench to put one in the back of the net.

The groundwork done in the 60s paved the way for a decade of success in the 70s. The Junior League was won in 1970 and the Junior Championship was attained in 1971. Other notable successes on the field was the winning of the Brennan Cup (Junior B League) in 1977 and a talented minor team who were defeated in a minor league final after three titanic battles against Scotstown. These years were marked by some great games between ourselves and our neighbours Tyholland. In 1972 the Intermediate League was won and we were now in Senior Football. 1973 and 1974 Truagh Gaels reached the semi-final of the Senior Championship losing to Castleblayney and narrowly to Scotstown respectively. In 1975 our first and only Senior Silverware to date was attained when Truagh defeated Scotstown to win the Owen Ward Cup (Senior League). This game was played in 1976, 18 years after the clubs foundation. In 1970 our third juvenile title was achieved when our U-16 won the Murray Cup (Div 1). For the rest of the decade we held our own in senior ranks.


For the final ten minutes of the game Scotstown closed things out well enough restricting Inniskeen to just a couple more scores while substitutes Sherry & Treanor kept the scoreboard ticking over for the Blues. Scotstown tightened their grip on the game in the third quarter with Kieran Hughes (3), Adrian Carbin & Brian McGinnity adding five points to the scoreboard. Scotstown travelled back north with a comfortable seven point victory and two valuable league points in the bag. It really was a disastrous period for Inniskeen as they had to wait until the 46th minute of the game to get their first second half point.

In 2005 Truagh Ladies jetted of on a whirl wind adventure to the sunny channel island Guernsey. A total of 22 headed for Guernsey on the Friday morning of the May Bank Holiday weekend. Yet they did not arrive until Saturday morning after a 26hr delay in Bristol Airport. Truagh Ladies had been invited over to Guernsey Gaels 7s Tournament by Truagh native and now residence of Guernsey Larry Hughes.

Hughes the younger was starting to cause the Castleblayney back line some problems, and in the fourteenth minute he found himself with a goal chance, but knocked it over the bar instead to bring his side level. Scotstown tails were up at this stage, and Paul Grant got off the mark with a well taken left footed point which was quickly followed by another from captain Francis Caulfield. Castleblayney were probably slight favourites for this one they had done the double over the Blues in the League this season, albeit against a much weakened Scotstown team in their last encounter. With scores hard to come by in the opening ten minutes, it was referee Martin McNally who was putting his stamp on the game as he showed yellow cards to Paul Grant of Scotstown and Dermot McArdle of Castleblayney. Scotstown played against whatever breeze there was as the first half got under way. Within minutes another high ball caused consternation in the Blayney defence. Castleblayney responded well to the challenge and began to find some rhythm to their own game with points from Ciaran Hanratty and Dermot Malone. Hanratty in particular was giving his marker Donal Morgan plenty to think about and he split the posts again as the game went into injury time at the end of the first half. It was an almost perfect summers evening in Clontibret as the Old Firm of Monaghan club football faced each other on Sunday evening. It broke for Hughes in an awkward position, but he made light of that and managed to lash the ball left footed into the net for a goal. The game was barely three minutes old when Scotstown were forced into an early change when Mark Duffy came off injured to be replaced by Brian McGinnity. The Faughs even managed to sneak over another point before the break through Keith Hill, leaving the bare minimum between the sides at the half time whistle Scotstown 1-4 Castleblayney 0-6. Thankfully it was long before there was some scoring to get the crowd going, with the Faughs registering the opening two points before full-forward Kieran Hughes replied with one for Scotstown.


Further points from Catriona Treanor and one from Natasha Mohan left Truagh 0-08 to 0-03 up at half time. The Truagh girls were first of the mark with a point from Catriona McKenna. Arva replied five minutes later with a point but Natasha Mohan and Nuala McQuillan increased Truaghs led to two points. After the break the Truagh girls extended their led to eight points with a point each from Catriona Treanor, Natasha Mohan and Caoimhe Mohan. On Sunday the 12th of October Truagh Ladies faced Arva of Cavan in the Ulster Championship Semi Final. However the game was far from over when Arva found the back of the net.

Land was acquired in 1979 in the townland of Lisseagh and all energies were geared towards completion of our present grounds and clubhouse. Mellans Park was officially opened. Seamus Sherry then lead the juvenile charge in the latter part of the 80s winning 5 more juvenile titles and reaching a minor championship final. Our Seniors were relegated to intermediate football in 1981 but bounced back to the senior football ranks the following year. If the 1970s could be described as a decade of success on the field, the 1980s was the era of success for the club off the field. These were our first juvenile successes since the 1970. On Sunday 3rd June 1984 (Centenary Year) St. In the early 80s the McGrane (U-13) and Lee Bros. We remained in senior football until 1988 where again relegation was our fate. This was a great testament to the Club and the people of Truagh far and wide who worked tirelessly to fundraise and to give generously. At adult level our only success was in the Junior B League (Hugh Brady Cup). A very important feature of this decade was the work done at juvenile level by a hard working committee lead by Dermot Treanor and others. Cups (U-15) were won and other finals were reached.

Navigation menu

The home side opened the scoring, but it wasnt long before younster Ross McKenna got an equaliser for the Blues. Barry McMeel (who was abroad for most of the summer) capped his return by registering a point after a good run from his half-back position. With Scotstown threatening to run away with things, Latton steadied the ship somewhat by nicking a point just before the break to make it 0-2 to 0-5 at half-time. On fifteen minutes, Mark McDevitt hit a point to put the Blues ahead for the first time, before Mark Treanor took advantage of a close range free and knocked it over the bar. Scotstown travelled south to Latton for this last round of Senior League fixtures with nothing to play for but pride. Ross McKenna continued to make an impression in his first senior appearance and he knocked over his second point of the day. The hardy souls who braved the rain and the generally miserable condidtions were however treated to a much entertaining contest than they had any right to expect. The hosts were in a similar position as they had already secured a semi-final spot in the League, so it was too very unfamiliar line-outs for both clubs as they looked forward to clashing in the Senior County Final the following weekend.

The half time score-line was Truagh 2-06 to Killany 1-03. Two minutes from half time Mary Catherine McKenna was called upon and did not disappoint when she stopped a Killany penalty denying them a chance to reduce the deficit. With Sinead McKenna and Natasha Mohan both kicking points Truagh quickly pulled ahead. Truagh got a flying head start when 30 seconds from the throw in Denise McKenna rattled the back of the net.

The second-half began with both sides swapping points Peter OHara getting the Scotstown point. Fellow substitute Tom Moyna helped himself to a point in only his second senior appearance, but the game was very even now and it Latton quickly equalised again. With seven minutes left, Ross McKenna got his third point of the match, but the Blues conceded a free in the closing minutes and Latton took the chance to level things yet again. Latton began to dictate things for a period and managed three unanswered points to make it six points apiece midway through the second period. The Blues made a change at the break with Myles Treanor coming on for Emmett Caulfield, who was making a welcome return from injury. The final whistle blew with the sides level at eight points each, meaning that Latton finish third and Scotstown fifth in the final standings. Padraig Keenan came off the bench for Scotstown for his first appearance of the season after a lengthy lay-off.

Club Football 2019

For this group of girls it was their first time playing for Ladies Football for Truagh, The team, managed by Brenda Mc Anespie and Louise Colton, went from strength to strength to reach the semi-finals. The semi-final, against Scotstown, was played in Castleblayney and although the result favoured Scotstown, it was a massive achievement, as for many of the girls it was their first time playing Football.

Emmett Caulfield got the visitors off the mark with an early point from a free. Damien Freeman and James Turley swapped points to leave the half-time score at Scotstown 2-6 Magheracloone 1-2. Magheracloone steady the ship a little by registering three unanswered points to leave them seven behind. Scotstown travelled to south Monaghan for this league fixture against high-flying Magheracloone on what was a perfect evening for football. This was by a long way Scotstowns best performance of the season so far, and with more players returning from injury things are looking more optimistic for the north Monaghan club. Conor Caulfield kept the scoreboard ticking with another Scotstown point. The Mitchels were pushing hard for goals in the final quarter of the half - James Hand registered one and the home side came close on a number of occasions. The visitors excellent first half display continued into the opening minutes of the second period as David McCague coolly volleyed another goal for the Blues. Scotstown were playing the better football at this stage though, with Emmett Caulfield grabbing his second point of the match and Darren Hughes coming through from centre half back to pick off another point to leave them just one behind. There was one more point for Magheracloone before substitutes James Hamill and Kieran Hughes pointed to put the result beyond any doubt. On 21 minutes Scotstown hit a purple patch with Conor Caulfield scoring a goal, which was quickly followed by points from David McCague and Brian McGinnity. Magheracloone equalised after 8 minutes, before James Ward finished to the net to give them a three point lead. Another goal followed from Orin Heaphey and the visitors were suddenly eight points up. With 13 minutes left, Scotstown brought Kieran Hughes on as a substitute for his first taste of the action this season after a lengthy lay off due to injury.